Thursday, May 2, 2019

Journal Drawings - Series #2



 This piece is centered around a scene from the 2018 movie "Beautiful Boy." In the scene, a concerned father is looking through his son's journal and sees some disturbing images and writing. The music feels tense and the expressions on the fathers face grow more worried. There is no dialogue in this scene, yet you can understand what this means for the family. It really stood out to me the first time I saw the movie. It was a Q&A with the son, Nic Sheff, and the actor who plays him in the movie, Timothee Chalamet. I learned that for the movie, Nic's younger brother drew and wrote all of the pictures from the journal and across his bedroom. It adds another layer of depth to the scene. I had trouble figuring out the color palette for this background. I was going to go with black and grey to further convey the mood, but it did not go with the rest of the paintings, and it wouldn't have made the pictures pop. For the drawing in the middle, I used micron pens. I took inspiration from all of the surrounding pictures and combined all of them to have that be the main focus, especially with it being mostly white inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Goodbye - Series #4

This piece from the movie "Call Me By Your Name" is my favorite out of all of them because of the shading of the shirt and backp...